Saturday 5 January 2013

The Year in View

I made a half-assed effort to think about what I have learned over this year. It does not amount to much, but I put it down here for your amusement.

Musically I have turned, more often than not, to classical works. In 2012 I managed to go to three concerts (at least, I only remember three). One was Gilbert and Sullivan's Ruddigore, then a selection of Scandinavian stuff. (See reviews passim) and early on in the year an exception; Steve Hackett, ex Genesis. After getting my fingers badly burnt upon seeing Crosby, Stills and Nash on their "We are only in it for the money" tour, I was loath to shell out money on more ageing rockers, but Steve was an exception, partly because Steve invited me and the tickets were free and partly because he is a musician for whom I have a great deal of respect. Hackett does two hours of immaculate material. It's a good show and I can only recommend it. Any Genesis fans will love it and anyone who likes Prog should love it too.
I have otherwise been disappointed by the offerings of other Old Grey Rock Gods. There is an exception, and that is Led Zeppelin. I happened to catch some of their 2007 O2 concert on the BBC and then went out and bought the DVD/CD box set (Celebration Day). They don't over-expose themselves, but when they do re-appear, it is dynamite. The whole thing sent shivers down my spine. The other big surprise for me has been Madness. I got hold of The Liberty of Norton Folgate and now I realise how much I have been missing all these years.

2012 also marked my debut appearance on an album, but the less said about that the better.

2012 was the year we decided to move homes and very soon we shall do just that. A place in the Scottish Borders where I can grow old out of the glare of publicity.

The Political Scene has become hugely boring for me and that has a lot to do with being in Scotland, even though the issue of independence seems to be a hot topic. Whatever people say, I find this country mostly friendly, less stressful and pleasant to look at and enjoy. If the weather wasn't so terrible it would be near perfect. If a few more restaurants learned how to cook food and serve it efficiently, it would be heaven.

The only thing of lasting interest I believe in past 12 months has been the beginning of the end of the BBC. After the Savile crisis, and a number of other problems, I cannot see how it can survive in its present form for much longer. If nothing else, it will be eaten up by technological advance that will render the need to buy a licence fee obsolete. As for Cameron & Co, I am largely unimpressed, except to say that at least the egregious descent into Labour inspired madness has, to some extent been slowed down. At least, in theory, if a burglar enters my home I can take a pop at him, rather than offer him counselling and a short seminar on safely breaking and entering, or sympathise with the stressful business of being a burglar, as one judge recently did. Of course, the tide won't turn. Labour made sure that the decline of this country was irreversible.

I intend to devote the coming year to Archery, Scalextric, Painting and Hill-Walking and the promulgation of world peace. Upcoming musical treats shall be Stenhammar, Moeran and Alfven. Continuing my studies in WW2, I have ordered a couple of Hugh Trevor Ropers and I shall keep on trying to plough through The Golden Bough and From Ritual to Romance (the Grail Legend), both the latter being highly cited as influences on Eliot's The Waste Land.

Now excuse me while I fish out my green tights.



No comments:

Post a Comment