Monday 15 April 2013

Baby Belling

Yeah, no shit, I can write about anything!

I wonder if anybody under 30 knows what a Baby Belling is or was. (Can you still get one?)

Bedsits had Baby Bellings. What people forget about the Sixties is how miserably dull it was unless you lived near Carnaby Street. I mean, most of us had relatives who went on about the war and we dined at places where you got tinned soup and ice cream made from pork fat. If you wanted to be really groovy, you could dye your candlewick bedspread purple and put a  few posters up on the wall.

No, the Baby Belling is a sort of symbol, albeit an alternative symbol, of the 1960s and what it was like to live in them. Mostly it was a case of always having to borrow a shilling for the meter or sixpence to make a phone call. Does anybody remember Player's Number 10? They were worse than Player's Number Six and that is saying something. I used to save my change in order to buy ten Player's Number Ten cigarettes and they were terrible.

I used to make toast on an upturned two-bar electric fire.

Ah, the good old days.

******

At last the ill-fated video has emerged. It is not what we really wanted and it could have been a lot better, but at least it exists. I am talking about a promo video I backed and produced for an album called Earthrise, which, incidentally, I issued a while back. It's available on Amazon yada yada and the album itself is a very fine example of its kind. I really like it, which is why I poured money into getting it re-mastered, re-jigged and re-issued. It is why I lost all my profits on the video and it it still owes me money.

A word of warning. There is no money in music. You have to love it. Which I do.

Here's a link to the video if you are interested: http://youtu.be/Yy7Ej2Y93sE


No comments:

Post a Comment