Monday 27 May 2013

And unless I am very much mistaken..

Very sorry to hear that Murray Walker, the erstwhile voice of Formula One motorsport, has been badly injured in a fall. Apparently he has a broken pelvis and is in considerable pain. Murray is 89 years old so he cannot be very comfortable at the moment. It reminds me that that other doyen of commentating, Sir Peter O'Sullevan, had a minor stroke this year. He's 95 and was until recently still attending his favourite horse races. Spare a thought also for Kent Walton, who commentated on the Saturday afternoon wrestling for over 30 years. I am not a cricket fan, but I had a boss once who was, and the office used to descend into a kind of stupor - like bees being smoked - when the cricket was on. Henry Blofeld and Brian Johnston had that kind of voice that could send you into a blissful trance.

I think that although I am more of an F1 fan than a horse racing fan, for me Peter O'Sullevan was probably the best ever commentator in the history of broadcasting. He was the quintessence of an English gentleman discussing the kind of thing English gentlemen do. His knowledge and his unflappable commentaries fixed the sport of kings as a genuine cultural artefact.

We take our sports commentators seriously in this country. What makes them all great is an intimate knowledge of the game, thorough homework and a passion that you cannot fake.

Have I missed anybody out?

No comments:

Post a Comment